Digital Marketing Glossary
Search a term: (clear)
- Accidental clickAccidental click: Accidental clicks as the name indicates are the clicks which occur accidentally or by mistake. It happens mostly in smartphones and tablets because of their touch feature. Accidental clicks are taken into account in case of Pay Per Click (PPC) campaigns.
- Ad arbitrageAd arbitrage: Ad arbitrage is defined as the buying and selling of ad impressions on ad exchanges with a margin. In this, single impression is bought which is sold in less than a tenth of a second.Ad arbitragers get benefit from lack or poor connections between ad exchanges.
- Ad blockingAd blocking: Ad blocking is the blocking of web advertisements on the desktop or device. Ad blocker software is used to prevent display of online advertising banners. These are used by web users to stop ad annoyance.
- Ad stackingAd stacking: Placing of multiple ads on each other in single ad slot is called Ad stacking. Here, only topmost ad is visible. It is a method of defrauding advertisers who compensate ad publishers per impression. In Ad stacking, ads appear in a cluster form.
- Ad stuffingAd stuffing: Ad stuffing or hidden ad impressions are an ad fraud process which involves placement of one-pixel-by-one-pixel windows throughout single webpage and serving ads in those invisible places.
- AdSense click bombingAdSense click bombing: AdSense click bombing involves clicking on competitor’s AdSense ads until your competitor get ban from the Google AdSense. This banishment occurs due to large number of invalid clicks.
- AdSense clickjackingAdSense clickjacking: AdSense clickjacking is a black hat technique that involves tricks which makes user to click on the multiple ads or follow button when they think that they are clicking on somewhere else on the webpage.
- AdSense paid trafficAdSense paid traffic: AdSense paid traffic is a traffic that is paid to obtain. The website owners bought this low quality traffic at low price rates to generate high AdSense revenue.
- AdSense safe trafficAdSense safe traffic: AdSense safe traffic is a genuine traffic generated through human traffic and not by any invalid means or clicks on the AdSense.
- AdwareAdware: Adware is any software that automatically renders advertisements to generate revenue. It is legitimate alternative for the consumers who do not want to pay for the software. Adware can be malicious also, installed without user consent.
- AdWordsAdWords is a Google Product that allows businesses to display their ads online. Adwords: Adwords is an online advertising service by Google that enables businesses to display their ads online by setting a budget for advertising and make payment when people click the ads.
- AdWords Management ServicesAdWords Management Services are generally provided to businesses by Google Partners companies and Google AdWords Certified Professionals. One has be Google AdWords Certified Professional to understand the platform and to help companies in running their online advertising campaigns successfully.Adwords Management Services are provided to businesses by Google Partners companies and Google(...)
- Affiliate link hijackingAffiliate link hijacking: When one of your affiliates buys your keywords on the Google Adwords and copies your ad, send the traffic to the same landing pages which you do. This is all Affiliate link hijacking.
- Affiliate parasitismAffiliate parasitism: Affiliate parasitism is so named as the parasite who is an affiliate that causes injury to the host (another affiliate) and earns commissions which they never deserve.
- Backlinks buyBacklinks buy: Backlinks buy is the process of buying external links to increase the popularity of website. Search engines analyses the quality of backlinks for ranking purpose. It's easy to buy backlinks directly or through the backlinks selling platform.
- Black Hat SEOBlack Hat SEO: Black Hat SEO is a practice used to increase the page rank in search engines through means that are against search engine guidelines. Your website can be easily penalized by the practice of Black Hat SEO techniques.
- BotBot: These are software that perform online automated tasks such as web crawling. Bots perform tasks that are structurally repetitive at higher rate which is not possible for a human.
- Bot trafficBot traffic: Bot traffic is the online traffic generated by the bots. In case of bot problem, the traffic source seems off. Bot traffic ranges from 10% to 20% of traffic.
- Botnet trafficBotnet traffic: Botnet traffic is an artificial traffic generated by botnet creators. They use several network computers to attack and hack other computers and servers within minutes to gain access to confidential information.
- Captcha breakingCaptcha breaking: Bots get better at solving captcha or captcha breaking. The purpose of captcha is to protect website from malicious activities. Captcha breaking can be done manually or with the help of software.
- Click fraudClick fraud: Click fraud can be performed manually or by a software. It is an illegal practice of clicking on website's click through ads. Click fraud is done to increase the payable number of clicks to the advertiser.
- Click fraud auditClick fraud audit: Click fraud audit makes click fraud detection possible. With Click fraud audit service, PPC advertisers can successfully monitor their PPC campaigns.
- Click fraud detectionClick fraud detection: Click fraud detection involves set of actions, steps or procedures that are practiced to detect fraud clicks on Pay Per Click campaigns. It can be performed by observing IP address, clicker locations and click patterns etc.
- Click jacking or click hijackingClick jacking or click hijacking: Click hijacking or click jacking refers to the hijacking of clicks which are meant for some particular page and routing them to another page. It is a malicious technique that deceives user by offering him different platform for which he is not looking for.
- Comment spamComment spam: Comment spam is a black hat SEO technique used to improve website's link popularity. It can be done manually or by a software.
- Competitor click fraudCompetitor click fraud: Competitor click fraud is of two types: fraud between advertisers and fraud between publishers. Fraud from an advertiser's competitor is the most common type of click fraud. It occurs when head of the company or an employee clicks on the PPC ads which belongs to the competition.
- Conversion Rate OptimizationConversion Rate Optimization - Good Digital Marketing Campaign focuses on how to increase conversion through revamping landing pages, ad copies, sales content, design, visual content, call to action and several other factors. Conversion Rate optimization is addressing all of the mentioned aspects and keep on improving until you start getting the result you want to achieve from your online(...)
- Cookie droppingCookie dropping: Cookie dropping is a malicious activity as it is totally against the affiliate guidelines or Terms and Conditions. It involves dropping of many affiliate cookies on users’ computers by fraudster affiliates.
- Cookie stuffingCookie stuffing: Cookie stuffing is an affiliate marketing illegal practice that involves putting a cookie on someone computer without their knowledge. It is considered as the black hat marketing technique.
- CPA - Cost per acquisition modelCPA, also refers to as 'Cost per acquisition' is advertising method where you only pay per conversion and the other ways like CPC or CPM. Google allows going for CPA model once you insert 'Google Conversion Tracking Code' in your website and you have enough history of conversions.Cost Per Acquisition: Cost Per Acquisition is an advertising method where advertiser pay for particular action-(...)
- CPC - Cost per click advertisingCPC, also known as 'Cost per Click' is online advertising method where you'd prefer paying only when someone clicks on your online ad. There are various online advertising methods including CPM, CPA, CPL models and all have different goals. Businesses that prefer paying when somebody click on their ad, go for CPC model i.e. Cost per click method.Cost Per Click: Cost Per Click refers to the(...)
- CPM - Cost per thousand impressionsCPM, also refers to as 'Cost per thousand Impressions'. You pay when somebody view your online ad as opposed to CPC i.e. paying when somebody click on your ad. CPM model is best for companies preferring to increase their Brand Awareness.Cost Per Thousand Impressions: Cost Per Thousand Impressions (CPM) refers to the price of 1,000 advertisement impressions on one webpage. In CPM bidding, one(...)
- Data leakageData leakage: Data leakage occurs when any brand, agency or ad tech company collects data of website's visitor and subsequently uses that data without any permission to the third party servers. It can be prevented by effective tag management, observing IAB guidelines "site tagging best practices".
- Digital MarketingDigital Marketing is an umbrella of terms for integrated marketing approach to reach target audience, convert audience through various methods. These techniques would include having mobile responsive website, Search Engine Optimization, Online Advertising, Content creation and more...Digital marketing: Digital marketing is the promotion of products or brands via one or more forms of(...)
- DNS hijackingDNS hijacking: DNS hijacking is done to generate ad revenues through ppc ads. In DNS hijacking, attacker takes control of a computer to alter its DNS settings which points to the rogue DNS server.
- Domain name biddingDomain name bidding: Domain name bidding involves practice of buying brand domain names as keywords on sponsored link platforms like AdWords. The competitors or affiliates can do this.
- Domain name poachingDomain name poaching: Domain name poaching refers to the trademark poaching where the bought keyword is not the trademark but the domain name including the extension. It is also known as Domain name hijacking and cybersquatting.
- DomainerDomainer: Domainer lets you keep track of the domains you own and the domains you want to own. With Domainer, we can know about domains like when they expire and which ones provide the best bang for your buck. They have a domain trading activity which involves buying a domain and then, reselling it.
- Email address harvestingEmail address harvesting: The process of obtaining lists of email addresses by various methods for use in bulk email is known as Email address harvesting. It is quite easy to detect email addresses as it contains character string with an @ and an extension.
- Email extractorEmail extractor: Email extractor is a kind of software which is designed to extract thousands of email addresses on the internet. Email extractors easily detect email address because it contains character string with an @ and an extension.
- Email list poisoningEmail list poisoning: Email list poisoning refers to poisoning an e-mail mailing list with invalid e-mail addresses. The purpose of email list poisoning is to ruin the reputation of competitor as an email sender. It can be prevented by pre-campaign email verification.
- EwhoringEwhoring: Ewhoring is one of the black hat techniques used for making money. It is the practice of pretending to be a girl in a chat room. In this, you convince guys to do sign up to your affiliate program, and once they do sign up you get paid.
- Facebook fans buyFacebook fans buy: Fans buying is done for the brand image. It is the practice by which an advertiser buys Facebook fans by “packs” to a specialized agency.
- Fake consumer reviewFake consumer review: Fake consumer review are of two types- negative fake reviews and positive fake reviews. Positive fake reviews are done to promote products or services and the negative fake reviews are done by the competitors.
- Fake retweetFake retweet: Retweet can be seen by humans and it can be manually or automatically generated by a Twitter account. It is a great way to get your message out to millions of users on Twitter.
- Fake Twitter accountFake Twitter account: There are many fake accounts on twitters which are created at scale by bots. Bots fill up profiles so that it will look real and it is mainly to be resold as a fake followers.
- Fat fingers clicksFat fingers clicks: Fat finger clicks are the accidental or unintentionally clicks on mobile display ads which create a big problem for the industry. To overcome this google has announced several new changes.
- Form filler in affiliationForm filler in affiliation: Form filler in affiliation artificially generates filled web forms on the website. As has been stipulated in the affiliate agreement if a fraudster doesn’t get caught red-handed, then he gets paid for each filled form.
- Fraudulent clickFraudulent click: Fraudulent clicks are the clicks which are mainly generated on PPC platforms. These clicks may be human or automatic and originate from editors or competitors.
- Google AdWords Certified ProfessionalGoogle AdWords Certified Professional - Certification given by Google to individuals who pass Google Exams in the following areas;Google AdWords FundamentalsSearch AdvertisingDisplay AdvertisingThere are other additional exams as well that are;Video AdvertisingShopping AdvertisingMobile AdvertisingThese exams helps an individual in grasping expert knowledge in advertising concepts and how(...)
- Google Analytics Certified ProfessionalGoogle Analytics Certified Professional - An Exam that covers basic and advanced understanding of Google Analytics Platform. After passing exam, Google Analytics Certified Professional is eligible to help any company in measuring and analyzing their website performance and then formulating a strategy to increase ROI.
- Google scrapingGoogle scraping: Google scraping can be performed straightforwardly by developers or by the method for particular devices and programming projects. Expansive scale Google scraping is made specifically through Google's APIs.
- GPT siteGPT site: GPT stands for Get Paid To. A GPT webpage offers individuals to be paid to make diverse activities on sites and less oftentimes logged off – such as telephone calls.
- Hidden IframeHidden Iframe: Hidden Iframe are most commonly used for traffic exchange cheating and black hat SEO techniques as in this Iframe it is made visible for the sightseer of a webpage by using invisible text style.
- Hidden textHidden text: Hidden text is used to hide text in page and it is an old black hat SEO practice. It consist of text with the small fonts which is on the bottom of the page with the same color as background.
- Impression fraudImpression fraud: As the name suggest Impression Fraud which mean that ads are distributed and calculated without having any fortuitous to seen by humans. The most common impression frauds are invisible ads, impression generated by botnet traffic and bots hosted by fraudsters.
- Impression stuffingImpression stuffing: Impression stuffing is a process in which you can insert many imperceptible ads on a webpage. It can done very easily with the help of pixel stuffing. In this Frames are positioned all over a page.
- Internet MarketingInternet Marketing is a marketing method that helps Businesses leverage Internet for their marketing campaign. Internet Marketing has many channels to promote a business. For Instance, Search Engine Optimization, Running Ads on Internet (Online Advertising), Promoting business through own website, Social Media Channels and more.
- Link networkLink network: With the help of link networks you can buy or exchange the backlines which are allowed by webmasters to improve SERP rankings. The links which are exposed and less effective are risky.
- Link schemeLink scheme: Link schemes are used to improve the ranking in Google and other search engines. There is no clarity between natural and unnatural links. Any links that are proposed to manipulate the PageRank in google search results may be considered as a part of link scheme.
- MadwareMadware: Madware is used in mobile devices as an adware. With the help of madware you can delivered messages within dissimilar smartphone features. It is a type of destructive advertising that upsets smartphones and tablets.
- Merchant fraudMerchant fraud: Merchant frauds can use abusive commission reversals. Merchant fraud is made of a few activities that permit a vendor to not pay every single due commission to subsidiaries and to the offshoot organize.
- MetajackingMetajacking: Metajacking belongs to SEO prehistory. It consisted of using competition brand names to fill some HTML Meta tags (i.e., keywords meta, description meta) originally used by search engine to rank websites.
- Misleading thumbnailMisleading thumbnail: Misleading Thumbnails are basically the images that create a type of optical illusion. They appear to something else after reducing its size. It is a deceptive video thumbnail which is used to gain artificial views.
- NHT (Non-Human Traffic)NHT: - In the digital marketing NHT stands for Non-Human Traffic. Invalid traffic is a real issue as it hurts both buyer and seller. If you are not taking NHT out of your measurement then your KPIs are infected and your results are probably wrong. Non-human traffic: Non-human traffic is a major issue if an ad isn’t reaching a real person. It impacts every other performance and effectiveness(...)
- Organic ListingsOrganic listings are results pages that are not paid for. Top results with yellow color are paid listings but below that are websites that are optimized for search results and are not paid results rather google and other search engines bring those sites on top based on their relevance with the search terms people have(...)
- Paid to click sitePaid to click site: Paid to click site pays people for clicking on links and ads. It acts as a middleman between individuals and advertisers.
- ParasitewareParasiteware: Parasiteware allow users to do the following activities such as collect cash back, to use coupons while shopping online. It may be a software or a special form of adware which overwrites affiliate tracking links.
- Parasitic affiliateParasitic affiliate: Parasitic affiliate earns commissions which he doesn't deserve because he Doesn’t have provoked the purchase decision. The software’s which are used by the parasitic affiliate are called parasitwares by affiliate community.
- Parked domainParked domain: Parked domains are used by businesses who want to have more than one web address for advertising purposes. Parked domains display the same website as your primary domain.
- Pixel stuffingPixel stuffing: The process of serving one or multiple ads in a single 1X1 pixel frame is called pixel stuffing. It is a kind of ad fraud and is invisible to the naked eye.
- PPCPPC is referred to as Pay per click. It means you pay for each keyword one somebody clicks on your Online Ad. You only pay when somebody click on your ad. You'd hear this term a lot while dealing with online advertising companies and when you'd engage in your company's online advertising.
- Proxy rotationProxy rotation: Proxy rotation involves usage of multiple web proxies for accessing a high number of times a same page or website during a short time frame. The purpose of proxy rotation is to avoid detection by the target website.
- Publisher click fraudPublisher click fraud: Publisher click fraud occurs when a person click on a website through advertisements to increase the payable number of clicks. The illegal clicks could either be performed by having a person manually click the advertising hyperlinks.
- Quality ScoreQuality Score is measured by calculating the following main factors of online ads on the scale 1-10;Relevance Quality of your landing page, online adYour Bid for a certain KeywordHigh Quality Score helps in reducing your pay per click cost and increasing your ads ranking.
- Referrer launderingReferrer laundering: Referrer laundering is a technique which is frequently used by rogue affiliates to redirect traffic on to a second party. It is done by means of an interstitial page.
- RemarketingIn online advertising, Remarketing or Retargeting is meant to retarget visitors that came to your website but weren't converted. In remarketing campaign, your ad follows them everywhere online for normally up to 30 days that helps you convert those visitors.
- Reverse SEOReverse SEO: Reverse SEO is known as negative SEO which is used to peneanalyzing competition websites. It is employed for decreasing the rank of the page in Google and other search engines.
- Search data leakageSearch data leakage: Search data leakage is a process in which a user search on a browser and then click on a link, the terms which are searched by the user sent to the site and sometimes to the another site through third party tags.
- Search result hijackingSearch result hijacking: Search result hijacking is a process that is used to generate PPC ad revenue or affiliate revenue for the landing page owner. These search results seem normal, but when they are clicked through, the user is redirected to porn related webpages.
- SEOSearch engine optimization or “SEO” is an online marketing method of getting your business’s website to land on a search engine’s results – the better your SEO is, the higher your ranking will be in search engine i..e Google, Bing.
- SERPsSERPs refers to as 'Search Engine Results Pages'. You'd hear this term a lot while working on your website SEO. SERP Ranking means what's your company's ranking in search engines whether Google or other.
- Spammy backlinkSpammy backlink: Spammy backlinks are used to improve a webpage’s ranking in Google search results. It is a type of artificial backlinks which is gained through hat SEO techniques.
- SpiderSpider: There are various type of spider that are used in digital marketing such as search engine spider. It is an automated software that follows links throughout the internet from one page to another. It is mostly used for black hat SEO practices.
- Thumbnail gamingThumbnail gaming: Thumbnail gaming involves using deceptive custom thumbnail on video platforms like YouTube and others so as to generate clicks in the suggested video results and later in the artificial video views.
- Trademark biddingTrademark bidding: Trademark bidding revolves around buying trademarks as keywords on Google AdWords beside other sponsored links platforms. Either trademark bidding may be performed by a legitimate owner of a trademark or by competition or even by some affiliates.
- Trademark poachingTrademark poaching: Trademark poaching is used to trademark keyword buying made by competitors. By offering on dealers' trademarks or space names, poachers sets a subsidiary treat on the end client's machine and when the last place a deal the partner will win the commission in view of that deal.
- Twitter followers buyTwitter followers buy: Twitter followers are the people who follow to another person’s tweet. There are some followers which are bought by marketers. For brands or celebrities it can be a great issue to have a maximum number of followers in the first day of an account so as to beat the competitors.
- TyposquattingTyposquatting: Typosquatting features the practice of the registering domain names that match frequent typo graphical errors when people try to access well-known websites.
- URL hijackingURL hijacking: URL hijacking is associated with the practice where a rouge affiliate creates a specific PPC search ad as well as displays a destination URL in such a way that it that makes people falsely believe that it has been created by an affiliate merchant instead.
- URL scrapingURL scraping: URL scraping is used to filter and extracting the URLs of webpages that has specific features. It allows you to quickly collect a list of websites that rank well in the Google. There are hundreds of webpages URLs that can be pull out from URL scraping process.
- Web MarketingWeb Marketing is a general term used for marketing done on the internet to promote, or sell a product/ service or offering. Web Marketing has many different online channels to market a product or offering to generate leads and these would include online advertising, email marketing, social media marketing and more.
- Youtube Views buyYouTube views buy: In order to buy YouTube views you have to be either a Facebook fan or a twitter follower only then you would be eligible for the same. .